Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Highlights of the First Half of March

The first Saturday in March was an eventful day for us. Jarl, Jacob, and Makayla were able to go horseback riding in the morning. It was the first time the kids have been on a horse. Jarl and his brother Matt are getting ready to ride in the Pony Express Reride in June to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Pony Express. Matt’s brother-in-law owns a few horses and said they can ride just about anytime. They all had a really good time despite the mud and are looking forward to going again.


That afternoon, Makayla, Kaley and I went to a baby shower for my cousin. Makayla loved being part of the girl party and was perturbed when my cousin’s wife brought her toddler son because he is a boy and this was just for girls. Kaley loved the attention and the strawberries. That evening we got to go over to Matt and Melinda’s to see their new house. They fed us yummy Philly cheese steak sandwiches. And the kids loved playing with Matt, his huge remote control truck, balls, and being pulled around the hardwood floor on a blanket.

The next weekend we took the kids to Disney on Ice. They loved it. It was fun to see them so rapt up in the show. They also really enjoyed the kettle corn we bought. The best part for me was seeing how excited Kaley got when the show started. She was grinning and clapping her hands and practically bouncing on my lap. She didn’t watch the whole show between munching on popcorn, sitting on the floor, and napping, but she really enjoyed it. Jacob was glued to it just as he gets when he watches TV or movies. It was a great family activity.


Kaley continues to delight even as she terrorizes. She loves to makes messes everywhere and now that she’s walking so well, it’s hard to keep up with her and get anything else done. She enjoys walking out to the van after dropping Makayla off at school and walking to the mailbox with me. She toddles all over the house and is getting quite adept at changing directions and being silly on her feet. She does have a number of bumps and bruises on her forehead all the time from tumbling though. She’s still attached to her purse and we take it almost everywhere with us. I’m not sure where she figured out that you carry a purse around because I don’t carry one. She also figured out that the bottom stair is the perfect height for her to sit on. She can be found just chilling there a few times a day.


She is a chatterer. She’s playing with more and more sounds and while mama, mom, and ba (dog) are her favorite words, I also hear hi, bye, my, and ball frequently. She points to her nose when you ask her where it is. It’s so much fun. We’re working on other body parts but right now everything is her nose. Her hair has also grown quite a bit in the last little while but it’s really hard to see in pictures so we improvised to show it off. Too bad the front part of her hair is just as short as it’s been for most of her life. I can’t wait for that part to start growing.


The kids are enjoying the warmer weather and love playing out in the backyard a few times a week. Kaley loves her swing. When Jacob and Makayla are in the backyard and she’s not, she stands at the back door and either knocks on the glass or grabs the door knob and cries to go outside. And whenever we’re in the garage she goes over to the wagon and tries to pull it out and convince me to take her for a ride in it. She prefers it to the stroller but I still put her in the stroller on our walks to the elementary school.


Jarl is busier than ever. Tuesday and Thursday nights are spent at his test prep class and the kids know those are the nights “dad doesn’t come home.” Wednesdays he’s home for a couple of hours before heading to the church for three hours. So we really enjoy the weekend time he’s home with us. Tuesday night of last week he came home to a very frazzled and wrung out me. The only thing he could think to do to help was to make me cookies. He decided to make pumpkin chocolate chip and decided to double it since we only had a big can of pumpkin. Mistake. After cooking 4.5 dozen we still had this much dough and could barely get the chocolate chips mixed in. Work really enjoyed his mistake since he took cookies in for two days and we ate them for five days.


I worked on painting a bit last week. I have big dreams of getting my whole house repainted (it really needs it). After living here for over three years the only painting I’ve managed to get done is the kids’ rooms, the master bathroom, and the desk room. There’s tons more painting to do so I’m trying to get some more done. I got the baseboards in the master bathroom painted so and the bathroom door so that room is completely done. The door took hours and I cringe to think of how many more I have to go. But I’m trying to press on. Maybe by the Memorial Day I’ll have the master bedroom done.

No comments:

Post a Comment