Monday, September 27, 2010

Another Eventful Month

Jacob turned six the end of August. He was so excited for his birthday and especially his presents. He enjoyed picking the things we did on his birthday. We had French toast and bacon for breakfast. That afternoon we went to see How to Train Your Dragon again because he likes that movie so much. Then he decided that we were going to Five Guys for dinner instead of having spaghetti like he’d asked for earlier in the week. We had spaghetti on Sunday instead. We kept his birthday a family day and then had our extended families over for cake and ice cream on Sunday. His aunts, uncles, and grandparents were so generous. That night as I was tucking him into bed he told me that he got really neat stuff.


The week after Jacob’s birthday we all went to Walmart so Jacob could spend some of his birthday money. The three kids also had money from the Jacobson Easter egg hunt too so the girls also bought toys that night and Jarl and I decided to too. Jacob bought a shotgun dart gun that he loves having. Jarl got a dart gun too so the boys can have wars. Makayla bought her very first Barbie-like doll (she wants more for her birthday). Kaley got a glow worm doll because she loved playing with the one at the house in Oregon. She enjoys having her baby in bed with her. And I got a book, The Host. We all got very fitting toys for ourselves and we had a lot of fun shopping together.

He’s really liking school and enjoying his improving reading skills. First-grade homework is much more manageable than his Kindergarten homework was which is wonderful. The first day of school we packed him a lunch in his new lunchbox and he was so excited to use it. When he came home he told me all about the lunch he had which was not the one he packed. He didn’t even take his cold lunch to lunch because he wanted hot lunch. We made sure he had lunch money the next day.

Makayla continues to say funny things that make us laugh. One of her favorite phrases is “it doesn’t care.” This can be used to mean “it doesn’t matter” and “I/you don’t care” and is used often in our house. She also calls Kaley “Mr. Kaley Bug” when she’s chastising or telling on Kaley. She really can’t figure out Mrs. and Miss although we‘ve tried to explain it to her. She started Head Start two weeks ago and likes going to two schools four days a week. I was a little bit worried about it being too much for her but she’s doing really well with it although it’s hard to know what school she’s talking about most of the time because she’s so bad with names and identification of anything.

Kaley is definitely in the terrible twos. She loves playing in the lazy Susan while I’m in the kitchen. Last week she dumped out the entire container of salt over three instances of playing with it. She says no constantly even though she has figured out yes. And she’s just into everything. When you tell her it’s time to get her jammies on she says “ruff ruff” to let you know she wants to wear her pink pajamas with the dogs on them. These jammies are hand-me-downs and she loves them (thanks Harry and Becky and Ella). The other day I put her on my bed to try to keep her out of trouble while I was painting. Her doggie jammies were still on the bed so she was working on taking her shirt off so she could put them on.


We finally got the basketball standard assembled on Labor Day and have enjoyed playing on our big driveway. This fulfills one of Jarl’s boyhood dreams. He’s always wanted a big area to play basketball and now he has one. We plan to enjoy many, many evenings playing as a family since both Jarl and I really enjoy playing. The kids love that we can lower the hoop so they can actually play. Kaley enjoys having Jarl lift her up so she can drop the ball into the net.




The second weekend of September was an especially bad one for us. From Thursday to Tuesday someone(s) was throwing up in our family. We quarantined ourselves on Sunday because we did not want to spread this sickness any farther. And not having a working bathroom downstairs just exasperated all the clean up needed from Kaley. Luckily Jacob and Makayla are old enough to throw up in the toilet. So that next week we got the bathroom remodel just about done. We just need to get the threshold done and that project will be done. It looks so much better than before.


With two kids in school all day four days a week I started painting my bedroom. We’ve owned the paint to do it for 2.5 years but it hasn’t happened because of the kids. I finally decided that if I wanted it done I had to do it myself and work it in around the kids’ schedule. I decided it’s my birthday present to myself. I have two walls done in two weeks and really need to get the third done so Jarl can use his dresser again. Maybe tomorrow I’ll get back to it. Unfortunately it’s not going to be done in time for my birthday on Friday.

Jarl was in Cleveland last week for training so it was a long week for all of us. His training went well and he enjoyed being there, visiting a guy he’s worked quite a bit with, and his quick trip to Kirtland. We’re glad he had a good trip but we’re even happier that he’s back home. Saturday I was able to take the kids to Discovery Gateway for Head Start’s Fall Fest. We had a great time playing and the kids are already asking when we can go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment