Monday, August 23, 2010

Family Update

Here’s an informative and long update on us with lots of cute pictures.

Jacob’s big news is that he lost his first two teeth last week. He was so excited the day he lost his first one that he had to call all his grandparents and tell them all about it. Jarl told him that before he goes to bed he has to yell out his open window, “Tooth fairy, I lost a tooth” so she’ll know to come. Such a Jarl idea—so now all our kids will yell out the window every time they lose a tooth. It will be a Jacobson family tradition started on a whim of an idea.


His other big news is that he started First Grade today. He’s really, really excited that he’ll get three recesses and get to eat lunch at school. He has a new Toy Story lunchbox to take his lunch to school in. He’s growing and maturing and has lost so much of the little boy he came to us with. He did really well on his comprehensive test last week when he went to meet his teacher. This is good because it won’t be a problem for him to miss every other Wednesday morning for therapy. But this is also bad because he might be pretty bored at times in school and therefore cause trouble. We’ll just take it as it comes.


As excited as he is for school to start, I think he’ll miss badgering me to let him watch TV or play the Wii all afternoon. With Makayla in school the last month he’s gotten to do a lot more of both. He won’t miss me saying “no” and “stop driving me crazy” though. He’s really excited for his birthday on Saturday and his birthday party. He’s anticipating seeing so many of his favorite people and getting new toys and stuff.


Makayla is Makayla. She’s so cute and fun, but can also be a bit of a monster. She started a new preschool the last week of July to help with some of her challenges. She loves going to school and especially loves that the bus comes to pick her up and drop her off at the house. She has a goal to work on everyday at school and loves to tell me what treat she got when she achieved it (as in a gummy bear or M&M).

She still loves clothes and shoes and makes me laugh with her combinations. For example, yesterday she was wearing her red flag shirt, her bright pink long pants, and her white Sunday shoes that show her toes. She just looked a bit silly to me. She loves those shoes though. They’re hand-me-downs from her cousin and still a bit too big so they don’t stay on her feet well but she’s wearing them everywhere. Well everywhere except school because I put my foot down on that and she likes her new school shoes.


Here's another of her outfits.


She’ll be starting Head Start again in three weeks which means that Monday through Thursday she’ll be gone a full day. She’s excited and I hope she does well with it. It will be nice to only have Kaley home and I’m hoping to get some more painting done around the house.


Kaley is growing up so much. The last six weeks she’s really started learning new words. She’s learning an average of two words a day now. Her favorites are Mamma (of course), cookie, shoe-shoe, Bolly (this is either Molly or Penny), mine, and belly-belly. I keep waiting for her to start saying Jacob and Makayla but she doesn’t seem too interested in that even though she knows her cousin JD’s name. She continues to love shoes and insists on having shoes on all the time although often she’s wearing Makayla’s or my shoes around.


She started nursery three weeks ago and did really well until yesterday. Yesterday she just screamed and screamed until I went and saved her. She slept through priesthood with Jarl though so hopefully she was just really tired and this won’t be a weekly problem.


Kaley loves playing by herself, with me or Jarl, with Jacob and Makayla, or with the dogs. She wants to be part of everything one of us is doing and she likes doing whatever Jarl and I’m doing. When I’m sitting down she often comes and plays on my lap which is fun except that she’s so wiggly. She now sits in a booster chair up to the table and loves being more apart of meals. We have to make sure she’s buckled in though or else she’s all over the place and loves leaning on me and coving me in food.


Jarl’s doing well and liking work although things are really slowing down as the design of the airport light rail line winds down. His big news is that he got his Profession Engineering License in the mail Saturday. This is a huge milestone for him and I’m so proud of him. He’s busy as ever with his Church responsibilities but he does a good job of balancing them with his family needs and we appreciate all the work this takes. He’s busy with house projects when he’s not working or at the Church. He’s also really enjoying to world of audiobooks on his ipod because they fit into his schedule better than books.


We finally got the rest of our concrete poured last week and this project that’s been dragging on for four months can start wrapping up. It looks really good and the kids like having a patio big enough to ride their bikes on. I love it because I can send the kids out in the backyard to play and ride their bikes without having to be out there to keep an eye on them. We’re looking forward to getting the basketball hoop put together and playing many, many hours of basketball in the driveway like both Jarl and I did growing up.

Three weeks ago the toilet in our half bath broke leaving water everywhere. We took this opportunity to remodel the bathroom. We have the top part of the walls and the whole ceiling painted. Jarl got the new laminate wood-looking floor in Saturday and hopefully this week we’ll get the baseboards, paneling, and chair rail up so I can paint them. We also bought a new sink. It’ll look really nice when we get it all done and will be so much better than it was. Unfortunately this project just makes me want to work on the rest of the house to get it where I want it except that I hate having disaster areas in the house. But once again, we’ll take it as it comes and do what we can.

I’m doing well. I’m reading as much as always and will probably finish my 100th book this week for 2010. I’m also scrapbooking and trying not to get more than two years behind. The kids really like looking through the scrapbook and do it just about every time I’m on the computer. I feel a bit bad because there are no pictures of Kaley yet so I’m trying to get 2008 wrapped up and onto 2009. I’m also just about finished with a cross-stitch celebrating Makayla’s birth which is good because I need to make one for Jacob too. I’m practicing the piano more since I’ve just been called to be the primary pianist. I’m looking forward to having Jacob and Makayla in school all day although I continue to tell myself that I won’t be able to get as much done as I’d like with them gone.

All in all, life is treating us very well and we’re very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment