Saturday, October 30, 2010

Kaley--A Beauty & a Beast

As I was going through my pictures from October for my last blog post, two things became very apparent. The first was that Kaley absolutely needed her own post this month. The second was that I needed a new camera since my pictures are blurry and the coloring is off since the kids played with the camera two months ago (and got in very big trouble). So I talked Jarl into a new camera before our trip and I must say I’m thrilled with the pictures I’ve taken thus far and can wait to show you all when I have time to post about Halloween. But back to the topic of Kaley—enjoy.
I'm so cute!
But I have attitude.

Kaley is a terror. Her terrible twos is in full swing and she’s a lot to keep up with. Her latest discovery is that she can move the stepping stools all over the place to reach new places. Her favorite is to get the pink stool from the kids’ bathroom and carry it into my bathroom (placing it in front of the closed door so I can’t open the door) and playing with my toothbrush and the toothpaste or whatever else catches her fancy. I’m out of places in my bathroom that she can’t reach so I guess it’s time to get Jarl to find time to install a cabinet above the toilet so I have someplace to put the toothpaste, my makeup, and other Kaley unapproved items.
Look what I can reach.
Yep, I can climb on this.
The huge bruise is a result of falling while climbing.
Those stools are so handy and yes that's my toothbrush, not hers.
She can pester as well as anyone.

On October 5 Kaley graduated to a toddler bed. She was crying and wanted her binky but she can only have it if she’s going to bed. So I gave it to her and then put her in her crib. She was mad and while trying to get back out she flipped herself out. Luckily I was standing right there and caught her so she didn’t land head first. But that meant it was time for the toddler bed. She loves it. She loves being able to get in and out of her own bed and be able to pull her blankets off her bed. The trick then became keeping her in bed. Three days later she figured out how to open doorknobs so the challenge is much greater now. Nap time, bed time, and 6 o’clock in the morning are now struggles and she’s often grumpy because she’s tired. I admit that I’ve relented to holding the doorknob so she can’t turn it and putting the gate up in her doorframe to keep her in bed. She’s also figured out how to climb onto Jacob’s bed thanks to a box of clothes next to it so I’ve found her sleeping with Jacob a few times. Last week she tried sleeping with Makayla, but I caught her and sent her back to bed.
This is her reaction to bedtime now days.

Dinner and eating in general is another battle. Kaley likes to eat on the move and snack all day long. We try to buckle her in at dinner so she’ll stay put long enough to eat and so she doesn’t cover me in dinner while standing on her chair leaning into me to give loves, whisper, or whatever. Penny’s good at stalking her when she’s eating on the move and she’s doing better at not letting Penny get her food although it still happens daily. We also fight daily battles of wearing shoes and socks (I usually lose this one) and wearing a jacket when we go out. Yes we’re definitely in the midst of the terrible twos.
Dinner drama
Unfortunately it’s getting to be time to get rid of the binky. She cries and whines for it a lot and I relent way too often as evidenced in the pictures. Sometimes it’s helpful because it lets me know when she’s tired. Other times it just drives me crazy. But if we ever have another baby I’d really like her to be completely weaned off her binky well before the arrival of the new one.

For the most part I really enjoy my time alone with Kaley. We have a close bond and I’m grateful for her everyday even when she’s driving me crazy. She spends a lot of time sitting on my lap and loves to bring me books whenever I’m sitting down. Although I don’t always appreciate the interruptions, I do appreciate her loves. She crawls under the table or desk or piano in an effort to get onto my lap. I’ve trained her (not on purpose) to watch TV in the mornings. She’s enjoying it more and more and has started requesting I turn on a “mou” for her. Elmo on Sesame Street is her favorite much to Jacob’s disappointment because often her choice trumps his of Go Diego Go and Dinosaur Train. With the TV on more, I’m really appreciating PBS and the programming they have.

I sure love my Kaley bug even though she’s a big handful. She sure is cute and we’re the best of pals. 

But aren't I cute?

1 comment:

  1. She is quite the handful, but she is certainly cute! It's great that we can see how she is even when we're so far away, and she'll appreciate being able to see it all someday too. We love and miss you all!

    ReplyDelete