Sunday, September 20, 2009

Bishopric Retreat & Week Ending 9/17/09


It’s been another big week at the Jacobson house. Friday night we went to a Bishopric Retreat. The idea was that all the men meet together so much that they wanted to have a time when the families could get together and just enjoy each other. So we went to a very large, very nice cabin in Midway that the bishop’s wife has connections to. We had a great time and enjoyed the scenery, the quiet, and the Wii. Jarl and I have talked about getting one and agreed that it would be the next gaming system we got. This last weekend cinched that. I’d never played the Wii before, but we all had such a good time that Jarl says he’s going to get one for my birthday. Not that we have time to sit down and play it together since Jarl’s gone so much, but it will still be fun to have if we do end up getting one.

Other highlights of the retreat included roasting marshmallows for s’mores over a gas fire (I don’t recommend it since it’s nearly impossible to cook them evenly because the flames are always changing and catching the marshmallows on fire), playing air hockey, and all of us staying up way past our bedtimes.

The leaves were turning while we were up there. Friday night we saw some color on our drive up. But Saturday there was three times as much color as Friday night. This weekend we’re headed to Aspen Grove up Provo Canyon for the Foster Family Camp. We should see lots of good fall color while we’re up there.

Saturday on our way home we stopped at the outlet stores in Park City and did some shopping. The weather was cooler and it was nice to be out spending time together as a family. Then it was home to watch our BYU cougars win, babysit Ben and Nathan, and watch more football.

Sunday was the one year anniversary of Jarl being called to the bishopric. I don’t know whether to rejoice that we have one year down, or weep because of the many, many years to come. It’s really hard to have him gone so much. And even when he is home, he’s often working on Church stuff. But I’m grateful that he’s willing and worthy to serve. I do the best I can to support him and try not to make it any harder than it already is for him to serve.


Sunday evening was a fun gathering at Matt and Liz’s to celebrate JD’s first birthday. Liz made him a really cute giraffe cake. We all laughed as JD started pulling off the giraffe’s spots before they even got the candle lit and started singing. Kaley enjoyed her first bit of cake to celebrate her cousin’s milestone.  


Monday was an exciting day for Makayla. It was her first day of preschool and she loves going. She gets to go Monday through Thursday most weeks. We drive Jacob to school and drop him off at 12:20, then drive Makayla to school. She’s between 15 and 20 minutes late but they’re okay with that. Then Kaley and I head home. Kaley takes a nap and I have a couple of hours for myself and whatever project I’m trying to get done. Then Kaley and I walk and pick Jacob up at 3:20 and we walk home. Once home we jump in the van and go get Makayla. Then it’s home again, rest time, and wait for Jarl to get home. It’s busy for me but worth it because all the kids are doing good things. Kaley loves our walks and it gets me out for a few minutes (30) a day so that’s a big plus.
 
This week I’ve worked on taking care of the overgrown. I’ve needed to cut Jarl’s and Jacob’s hair for many weeks. I got Jacob’s cut Monday morning. But every time I want to do Jarl’s, he doesn’t. Finally yesterday morning he started cutting his own hair. Him vacuuming his head off woke me up (6:20 a.m.) and I went down to investigate. I’m glad I did because I was able to even up his cut, save him time, and get the bottom tapered reasonably well. Since he didn’t use our clippers (he used a trimming thing he has) it’s pretty short. Someone at work told him he looks like a highway patrolman. I’m glad we finally got that done and I’m not looking forward to needing to do it again in another 3 to 4 weeks.

Then this afternoon I tackled the back lawn. It hasn’t been cut in nearly three weeks and was very, very long. I just blew it out the side so I could at least get it cut. It took over an hour to get through it once. Now my back lawn looks like it’s waiting to be baled. Sometime soon I need to get back out there and cut it the other direction and get it bagged. When is the question as usual.

I had another “I’m a Terrible Mother” moment with Kaley on Thursday. The kids were on their beds for rest time, Kaley was playing on the floor in the family room, and I was on the computer. Kaley was crying and not happy so I finally went to pick her up only to find her drooling blood. I was trying to figure out if she’d fallen over and bit her lip when I saw something in her mouth. I got it out and discovered a prickly thing that we always get in our shoes, the wheels of the stroller, or the dogs’ paws when we walk in the neighborhood. This one had two mean spikes. Kaley chomping on it had poked her poor mouth how many times? I’ve been trying to get to the vacuuming and in the last four days managed to get everything vacuumed but the family room and the desk room. Maybe this will be a stronger inducement to stay on top it. Unfortunately, I’m doomed to more “I’m a Terrible Mother” moments due to being a mom.


Kaley’s pretty much decided she’s done with baby food. She was getting it at dinner but she’d much rather have whatever we’re having and whatever she can feed herself. Tuesday she fed herself strawberries, squash, and pieces of chicken. Wednesday night was her first spaghetti dinner. We ground it up for her and she liked that. Thursday night she got ground up pot roast and vegetables. She’s doing well with the meat and loving eating new things. She’s also a big fan of French fries. And Molly and Penny are a big fan of her feeding herself.

Jacob seems to be doing well with school and likes going. All in all, he’s doing really well. He’s come so far from where he was last summer and even from November it amazes me. His biggest challenge is getting through all his homework every night. We do 60 to 90 minute of homework a night in addition to 20 to 30 minutes of reading. It’s a lot for a five year old and it’s a lot for me. I’m hoping as we continue, he’ll get faster at his homework and it will get better.



Monday night Jarl made fresh peach pie while I helped kids with homework and fed Kaley. Ruth Jacobson brought us peaches from her tree. We also have peaches from the neighbors. The problem with growing your own food is what to do with it all when it’s ready. I don’t can and we can’t possibly eat it all as quickly as some of it needs to be eaten. Nonetheless we’ve planted a garden every year. This year we again lost the battle to the weeds, snails, ear wigs, and birds. But we did harvest more than we ever have. I’m not sure that what we do get to eat is worth the water, sweat, and stress of trying to stay on top of the weeds and pests. But still we try.

1 comment:

  1. We have the same problem with our garden every year. C'mon everyone can use yet another zucchini recipe right?

    ReplyDelete