Monday, September 28, 2009

Kaley's Surgery and Family Update

Kaley finally had her surgery on Friday. She was born with a skin tag along her jaw on her left cheek and another one next to her left ear. We've been waiting for them to be removed since she was born. We had to wait until she was older and could be put under anesthesia more safely. Her surgery was originally scheduled for August 28, but after spending two and a half hours at the hospital they sent us home because she was running a temperature.

Friday we only spent five hours at the hospital and she did really well. She was a bit cranky Friday, but Saturday she was back to normal. They stitched her up with dissolving stitches and sealed it all with super-glue-like stuff. Once the stitch dissolve and the glue wears off we’re suppose to put Scarguard on it for a year to help reduce scarring. It’s really nice to have the surgery behind us. Although I miss her tags a bit because they added character to her cute face and because they were just a part of her.






Kaley continues to grow, explore, and experience firsts. She’s sitting up so well she gets to take a bath in the tub and ride in the shopping cart without her car seat. She loves playing with the toys in the tub and seeing everything at the store. She can now push herself into sitting from lying down; pull herself up to standing in her crib, on the stairs, and on the love sac; and crawl on hands and knees. She’s been playing with crawling for a few weeks now, but yesterday is when she finally figured out that she needed to move her hands to get anywhere. I’m sure we’ll be stepping over gates very soon since she’s so curious and moving from room to room now and it will only get worse and faster as she masters crawling and walking.




Makayla continues to love school although about the only thing she tells us about is who hit her and made her cry. Unfortunately she’s now hitting Jacob more. Hopefully all those three year olds will get over the hitting and life will move on at school to more important things. She’s obsessed with findings M’s now. I think this is somewhat due to school. She finds them everywhere and shows them to me. I’ve just about convinced her that M is a letter and not a number.

Jacob also really likes school even though the homework is hard sometimes. He hates having to tell us what the letters and words he’s supposed to know are. But we push forward and hope he learns it. I don’t remember learning to read anything in Kindergarten, but Jacob already has about ten sight words he knows. He’s figured out that letters make words so he puts the letter magnets into words and writes letters on Makayla’s magnadoodle and then asks us what they say and then asks what they mean. It’s a little exasperating to try to help him understand that just because I can tell him what they says it doesn’t mean they’re actual words. It’s so fun to have him learning and liking it though.

The night we got home from Aspen Grove Jarl went and bought us a Wii. We’re having a really good time with it. It’s hilarious to watch the kids try to play. Although it’s also a bit frustrating to try to get Makayla to understand how it works. I’ve never enjoyed video games as much as I am now. I even turned it on with kids one afternoon while we were waiting for Jarl to get home. The one problem is all the money it’s going to take to get everything we want. For now we’re playing Wii Sports, Wii Play, Lego Indiana Jones, and Mario Party 8. We also just borrowed Wii Playground (dodgeball, dart guns, flying paper airplanes, and such) and Mario Kart from Jarl’s brother. It’s lots and lots of fun.


2 comments:

  1. What is it with the 3-year-olds and hitting? Lily has told me about that in her school too and I just find it odd. Isn't it great fun to ask them "what did you do in school today?" and then spend 20 minutes coaxing information out of them. I still understand only about half of the stories she tells me anyway- they involve too many people I don't know and things I'm not familiar with in her classroom. I guess we all need practice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you guys are doing well. Good job miss Kaley on being such a trooper. We thought about you all day. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete